Botox Los Angeles
Los Angeles, synonymous with glamour and elegance, is one of the top destinations in the world for advanced aesthetic procedures. The iconic Hollywood sign evokes images of everlasting beauty and style. Botox ® undoubtedly remains the star of the show, mainly because of its longstanding safety profile, dramatic real-time results, and diverse clinical and cosmetic applications. Botox ® has established itself as the number one non-surgical cosmetic procedure in the world since its introduction into cosmetic practice in 1981.
Transformative results can be achieved by applying Botox ® injections into specific facial muscles, temporarily paralyzing them, causing a wrinkle-erasing effect. Here at our clinic in Los Angeles, we offer our patients a wide variety of options for their cosmetic needs. Due to the high rates of success and minimal downtimes, Botox ® injections are certainly our most popular procedures and sought after by women and men of all ages. It is reported that almost 3 million people worldwide have been injected with Botox ® and 87-90% have reported amelioration of wrinkles in less than a week. Some patients report dramatic visible results in as little as 3 days of Botox ® injections with minimal to no discomfort.
Cosmetic Botox ® is indeed a leader in the rejuvenation revolution and is instrumental in transforming cosmetic clinical practice like no other non-surgical procedure.
That being said, it’s important to have realistic expectations and be properly informed about expected results and potential side effects. Feel free to discuss any concerns you have regarding your ‘problem zones’ before treatment so that our physician can establish a dosage regimen and is aware of your concerns.
Wrinkle Fact Sheet
Botox® injections were FDA approved in 2002 where the cosmetic indications include ‘prevention and treatment of moderate to severe dynamic wrinkles and cessation of excessive sweating’. Dynamic wrinkles, also known as ‘wrinkles in motion’, develop slowly over time due to the constant contraction and relaxation of facial muscles also known as ‘muscles of facial expression’. Injection of botulinum toxin is particularly effective in managing moderate to severe crow’s feet and frown lines that occur in between the forehead in adults. Static wrinkles, or ‘wrinkles at rest’, are more difficult to treat as they involve the deeper facial muscles, but clinical observations demonstrate that regular applications of Botox® injections can prevent wrinkles in motion from becoming the more stubborn wrinkles at rest. This is a novel and emerging new trend in cosmetic Botox® that can be viewed as a preventative measure applicable to a younger population.
Remember that wrinkles are formed due to these three reasons:
- Gravity lines
- Sleep lines
- Muscle contraction
Botox® will benefit wrinkles which were formed due to repetitive muscle contractions.
Cosmetic Botox ®- What It Can Treat & Bonus Benefits
- Horizontal forehead lines
- Vertical forehead lines (Glabellar ‘frown’ lines)
- Periorbital folds (crow’s feet around the eyes or squint lines
- Eyebrow elevation or a chemical ‘brow-lift’
- Nasoglabellar lines (known as nasal scrunch or bunny lines)
- Upper lip lines (smokers lips)
- Lower lip lines (marionette lines or sad lines)
- Chin lines (chin dimpling or mental creases)
- Neck lines (platysmal bands or ‘turkey neck’)
- Excessive sweating (primary hyperhidrosis)
- An adjuvant treatment along with non-invasive laser or light-based rejuvenation and facial contouring modalities such as Kybella, Juvederm, and other injectables.
Mechanism of Action
Botox® is derived from a bacterium known as Clostridium botulinum. Neurotoxin A, also known as botulinum toxin (BTX), is extracted, purified, and vacuum-dried to create the final product known as Botox® for cosmetic use. After our physician mapped out the facial muscles that require treatment, Botox® is injected directly into the hyperactive muscle. BTX will cause a temporary flaccid paralysis (lack of contraction) of the muscle within 48-96 hours. The resulting relaxation will cause a wrinkle smoothening effect and gives the patient a more calm appearance. Peak maximum effect can be expected in about 1-2 weeks.
The Procedure Itself
After our physician has decided on a proper treatment regimen, you will be asked to sign a consent form before treatment commences. A semi-reclining position where the upper body is elevated is preferred, or a normal sitting position can be taken. Ice packs will be applied to the target area and a mild local anesthetic (lidocaine) will be applied. Tensing the muscle before injections will prevent any unpleasant sensations and limit bruising. The required units of Botox® are then injected directly into the target muscle. Our physician will decide what area to inject and the dosage required for optimal benefit. Since the procedure itself is relatively free from notable effects and is rather quick (10-30 minutes for a full session), it can easily be performed as a lunch-time procedure where you can return to work immediately.
The most important aspect of the procedure is that you stay relaxed and maintain complete confidence in the experts at Your Laser Skin Care. Staying relaxed will make the procedure go much more smoothly and reduce unnecessary anxiety that can negatively affect the outcome and may even trigger an unnecessary vasovagal response.
What to Do After the Procedure
- It is preferred that the patient refrains from touching/manipulating the treatment area for a few hours.
- Try to remain in an upright position for about 3-4 hours.
- Wait patiently for results to manifest. It has been observed that it typically takes anywhere from 48-96 hours for results to appear.
- Inform us immediately if any unusual side effects occur or if you do not see any positive effects at all (which is uncommon).
- It’s best to avoid harsh sunlight or strong facial treatments for a few days after receiving BTX injections.
- Avoid strenuous exercise for a few days following treatment.
Expected Results and Follow-Up Sessions
As mentioned previously, results can be expected from anywhere between 48-96 hours depending on dosage and type of BTX, the severity of wrinkles, unique facial musculature, and site of action. Maximum benefits can be observed by about 1-2 weeks. Results can typically last up to 3 months or more. When you notice a reemergence of lines, it’s best to make an appointment for Botox® follow-up treatments.
How Much Do Botox® Treatments Cost?
Botox® injections cost $10 per unit at our clinic in Los Angeles. Our physician will decide how many units will be required to treat wrinkles effectively. An example of the cost of treating a ‘frown line’ is about 20 units, which is $200. Again, our physician will decide how many units are required according to each clinical situation.
Dysport® vs Botox®– What’s the Difference?
Botox® and Dysport® are both derived from exotoxin A serotype and therefore have similar effects however they are not similar products and have variable potencies. One unit of Botox® is equivalent to 2.5 units of Dysport®, therefore care should be taken during dilution. Dysport® cannot be used in people suffering from lactose intolerance as a fixed drug eruption has been reported after treating wrinkles with Dysport®.
Our physician will decide which product is the safest for you.
Botox ® – How Safe is It?
Botox® treatments are quite safe as demonstrated by numerous studies and clinical observations (side effects occur in less than 2% of patients). However, at our clinic in Los Angeles, patient safety and education is our top priority, as is full disclosure. If you experience any unwanted side effects, please contact our clinic immediately and do not operate machinery or vehicles. Literature and clinical observation state that the following side effects can occur on rare (< 2%) occasions:
Immediate (24-48 hours)
- Localized pain at site of injection
- Slight bruising at site of injection
- Flu-like symptoms
- Mild dizziness(a vasovagal response that is harmless)
- Mild nausea
- Dry mouth
Delayed (> 48 hours)
- Allergic reactions like itching and rashes.
Precautions and Contraindications
At our clinic in Los Angeles, we like to exercise caution and believe passionately in patient education. When you come in for your Botox® treatments, here are a few things you should definitely avoid or exercise extreme caution:
- Discontinue all blood thinners 1 week prior to treatment (e.g. Aspirin, high dose Vit.E, St. John’s Wart, high dose fish oils, and NSAID’s).
- Do not consume alcohol 1 week before treatment as alcohol diminishes blood flow to the tissue and consequently hinders the efficacy of BTX.
- It’s better to avoid strong caffeinated drinks and beverages just before treatment.
- Inform the physician if you have received injections of botulinum toxin such as Myobloc®, Dysport®, or Xeomin® in the past 4 months.
- Reschedule the appointment if you have a skin infection at the site of the injection.
- Inform your physician if you have received antibiotics by injection, or take sleep or allergy medications.
- If you take any type of muscle relaxants.
- If you are allergic or hypersensitive to any component present in BTX formulations.
- If you have muscle atrophy or weak muscles.
- If you have difficulty in swallowing due to any condition.
Here are the absolute contraindications whereby you should not receive BTX injections.
- If you suffer from neuromuscular disorders such as Myasthenia gravis, Lambert-Eaton Syndrome, ALS, or Lou Gehrig’s disease.
- If you are pregnant or lactating/breastfeeding.
- Any medical conditions that have resulted in facial weakness, or have caused an abnormality in facial innervation.
- If you plan to have facial surgery or plastic procedures.
- If you are planning for invasive-laser rejuvenation.
- Have cow’s milk allergies (this applies to Dysport® usage only).
Advanced neurotoxins have become the treatment of choice in managing signs of aging such as wrinkles. Along with other injectables such as Kybella, a professionally administered injectable drug prescribed for reducing the notorious ‘double-chin’ (submental fat) in adults, Botox® results in transformative changes without having to go under the knife.
One complete session with Botox® injections will take 10 years off of your face and result in a positive transformation.
We hope that through our informed Los Angeles-based clinical team and award-winning services, you make the right choice and begin your journey to a more youthful, confident, and empowered you.
Let Botox® make rejuvenation a painless and smooth transition, tailor designed to fit all of your cosmetic needs. Express your inner youth through our evidence-based treatments.
Looking great has never been easier.