During the treatment, you’ll wear special ‘eyewear’ that protects your eyes from the light beam of the laser. The treatment area may be numbed with a local anesthetic cream. Most people consider the treatment not painful. The sensation experienced is similar to the sensation of rubber bands hitting the skin. After treatment, it’s possible to have some redness, swelling, hyperpigmentation, hypopigmentation, bruising or blistering, but these side effects usually do not last more than a few days.
Laser Hair Removal
Of all the various treatments available for hair removal in Los Angeles laser hair removal is the one that receives the highest accolades from patients. It’s the most efficient method of hair removal and gives permanent results.
The hair can be located on your face, legs, arms, underarms, bikini line, chest, calves, or back. Both men and women may opt for laser hair removal simply because it’s a state-of-the-art method of hair removal that is suitable for large areas of the body as well as smaller ones. The lasers used at Your Laser Skin Care are the most advanced lasers that work on all skin types.
Many people do not realize that laser hair removal is also beneficial for people who tend to get problems with ingrown hairs. By removing the hair with a laser, the hair follicle can no longer become infected. This strategy may be considered preventative, since it prevents future problems with antibiotic resistance by reducing the need for antibiotics to treat ingrown hairs.
Q: How does Laser Hair Removal Work?
A: The Laser Hair Removal system focuses a gentle, pulsating beam of high-intensity light in the form of a laser on the hair follicle of the unwanted hair. A controlled amount of heat is delivered to the target, followed by a patented Dynamic Cooling Device™ to protect the upper layers of your skin so that only the hair and its hair follicle are removed. With this dual system, side effects are kept to a minimum.
Q: Is Laser Hair Removal Affordable?
A: Most people find laser hair removal to be a significant savings over the combined cost of shaving, waxing and other treatments… and that’s not even counting all the time spent removing the unwanted hair. The number of treatments will vary, so we recommend you make an appointment for an individual assessment. Your Laser Skin Care will be happy to provide you an estimate based on your specific desired outcome.
Q: How many Laser Hair Treatment sessions will I need?
A: The number of sessions depends on the treatment you require and the condition of your skin. For hair removal, multiple treatments are usually required, as the process is most effective when the hair follicle is in its active growth phase. In the life cycle of a hair follicle, there are two phases: active and dormant. The hair can be treated with laser only if the hair is actively growing in the active cycle. Treatments are necessary at 4-6 week intervals to catch the hair follicles in the active cycle. Many factors impact the efficacy of individual laser treatments, including the severity of the condition being treated.
Q: Can Laser Hair Removal Be Performed On All Skin Types?
A: Laser hair removal can be performed on the vast majority of skin types. Traditionally, fair skinned people with dark hair have achieved the best results, but that has been changing as treatment methods improve. Today, using the latest laser technology available, Your Laser Skin Care can provide hair removal on darker skin tones with greater effectiveness and less irritation than ever before.
Q: What Are the Most Common Areas for Laser Hair Removal?
A: While laser hair removal can be used on many parts of the body, the most common areas of removal for women are the legs, face, arms, underarms, and bikini area, while the back, chest and shoulders are most common for men. Every person has different needs, so laser hair removal is not limited to these areas.
How Effective is Pulsed Light Hair Removal?
With today’s advanced laser technology, there’s no doubt that both the Laser and IPL are effective methods of stopping the growth of unwanted facial and body hair. Compared to depilatories, wax, bleach and electrolysis, the laser wins, soundly. But compared to each other, the Laser is the most focused beam of light available; IPL does not penetrate as deeply or effectively on thicker, coarser hair. Your Laser Skin Care’s Candela Gentle Yag laser, is our clients’ favorite choice.
To obtain maximum results, it’s important to follow four simple pre-treatment instructions:
- Mark the date of your appointment on the calendar. Then mark off a 2-week period on the calendar with the words, “NO SUNBATHING”. Sunbathing can interfere with the laser skin treatment procedure.
- Mark that same 2-week time frame on your calendar with the words, “NO PLUCKING, BLEACHING OR WAXING.” The laser light detects the darkness of the hair; bleaching interferes with the ability of the laser to find the hair and its hair follicle. Plucking and waxing can interfere with the hair follicle’s growth cycle and extend the number of sessions you will need. It’s best that plucking, bleaching and waxing are not done 4 weeks before your laser skin treatment so add another 2 weeks with the words, “NO PLUCKING, BLEACHING OR WAXING.”
- Shave the treatment site prior to treatment. Of course, if you are unable to shave a body part yourself, such as your back, the medical staff will assist.
- If you’re having areas on your face and neck lasered, don’t wear any makeup on those areas. The area should be as clean and cleared of chemical substances as it possibly can be.
What to do after Laser Hair Removal Treatment
After laser treatment, the treated area may appear as if the hair is still growing. This will change within a week or two as the hairs fall out. Below are some additional instructions you’ll need to know for after your first laser skin care appointment.
- If you have any redness or swelling, apply ice packs as needed.
- If a blister or scab develops, call our clinic. We’ll tell you what type of antibiotic ointment to apply to the area.
- Don’t scrub the treated area. Gentleness is the best laser after-treatment needed.
- Protect your skin for the next two weeks with a sunscreen that has a SPF of 30.
- Schedule your next appointment four weeks from the date of your current appointment.