6 Bad Habits Affecting Your Skin and Health
Posted on September 5, 2014 by Ella Fedonenko
Let’s have a frank conversation about your skin. As we’ve discussed, it’s a vital organ with specific duties. Mistreating it can leave superficial marks as well as open the door to more serious problems.
But being mindful of your skincare practices and lifestyle choices can aid in skin rejuvenation and overall wellbeing. So let’s review the bad habits that can affect the look and health of your epidermis.
1. Smoking — Truthfully, we’re surprised that we still have to discuss this topic given the wealth of knowledge available regarding the negative health effects of cigarette smoking, which became popular in the United States following the Civil War. It wasn’t until 1952, however, that a Reader’s Digest article, titled “Cancer by the Carton,” opened the public’s eyes to potential dangers. (Cigarette sales declined for the first time in two decades that year). In 1960, the Surgeon General created the Advisory Committee on Smoking and Health; it released a report in 1964 that revealed a causal relationship between cancer and smoking. For three decades now, the direct relationship has been supported by the U.S. government. As for how smoking affects your skin’s appearance, it contributes to premature aging and exacerbates existing sun damage, worsening precancerous lesions. It can increase wrinkles, especially around the mouth and nose. Skin can develop a yellowish hue.
2. Sleep Deprivation —While it doesn’t damage skin directly, the effects of sleep deprivation can manifest in your skin’s appearance. It can look more tired or even wrinkled. A lack of sleep can be harmful to your health, of course, such as contributing to type 2 diabetes, mood disorders and hypertension.
3. Picking, Popping, Scratching —It’s so tempting; we understand. But scarring is a real result of trying to remedy acne, rashes, pimples, and bug bites this way. Our skincare professionals can help you.
4. Forgetting to Wash Your Face — For some, leaving makeup on your skin — not to mention the day’s buildup of environmental toxins like dirt and pollutants — can clog pores and cause zits to occur literally overnight. Having a facial skin routine is important to keep skin clear for men and women. Take a look at our VIVITE skincare products to aid in this effort. Interestingly, your cellphone can be the cause of breakouts as well, as the surface of phones can harbor bacteria. Wipe phones clean regularly to avoid a breakout possibility. Additionally, make sure to wash your cosmetic brushes and sponges regularly. Bacteria can accumulate on these beauty tools, as well.
5. Avoiding Sunscreen —This isn’t just a summertime concern. Sunscreen should be worn daily, even if it’s overcast. You increase your risks for developing skin cancer, like melanoma, without it. Apply sunscreen anywhere that skin will be exposed to UV rays. Also noteworthy: The sun is the principal cause of skin aging.
6. Forgetting to Moisturize Neck, Hands — Aging is visible not only via our faces, but also on our hands and neck, places often overlooked or forgotten in skincare routines. These areas are at risk for loss of firmness, dryness and dark spots.
For a free skin consultation, or to inquire about our specific procedures that will aid in skin rejuvenation, call us at (323) 525 1516.