We schedule annual appointments with our physicians. We see(or try to visit) the dentist every six months. Yet how often do you visit a skin care specialist?
Yet every day, each one of us uses the body’s largest organ — our skin — without thinking much about it. If you consider the facts about our skin and its incredible abilities, you might start to care more about its health and well-being.
- About 15 percent of your total body weight is skin.
- Skin is made up of two types — glabrous and hairy — and has three different layers: the epidermis, dermis and subcutis.
- Skin measures 2 square meters when stretched out.
- Your eyelids boast the thinnest skin (.02 mm) on your body. Skin is thickest (1.4 mm) on the soles of your feet. Skin has the necessary amount of strength and elasticity for its location. For example, the skin on your stomach is different from the skin covering your knuckles.
- There is no hair or even sweat glands in scar tissue.
- Hair is made from keratin, which is a protein. Individual body hairs will grow for two to six years.
- It’s normal to lose between 20 to 100 hairs on your scalp a day.
- Your skin will regenerate every 28 days.
- The dead layers of skin and fingernails consist of keratin.
- You lose around 30,000 dead skin cells every minute.
- Natural fats keep skin moisturized and healthy. Alcohol and detergents will negatively affect these fats.
- This may be unpleasant to learn, but your skin has around 1,000,000,000,000 individual bacteria living on it.
- There are around 14 species of fungi living in-between your toes.
- Skin color is caused by melanin, a protein, which is produced by cells called melanocytes. Melanin comes in two variations: pheomelanin (red color spectrum) and eumelanin (deep brown to black).
- Acne will occur in four out of five teenagers.
- Women and men can also get acne. Usually, the numbers are around 1 in 20 in women and 1 in 100 men.
Your Laser Skin Care will be happy to address any skin care issues or concerns you might have have.
We also specialize in cosmetic procedures like Botox, laser hair removal and IPL among many other services. Please visit us at www.yourlaserskincare.com for details.
To schedule an appointment, please call us at (323) 525-1516.